Thursday, September 8, 2011

Moment of Silence in School

*I changed the title of this post from it's original title to reflect more of what this post is about.*
I'm home with my little man today. Along with a new school year, comes new germs. The stomach virus has hit our house. One 5 year old down, two adults to go. YIKES! Today has been our first sunny day since Friday thanks to tropical storm Lee and I would love to be outside, but he isn't up for it. As a matter of fact he is napping now, so I am blog hopping.
As I was  scrolling my Google Reader, I came across a blog post from Starbucks, Standards, and Sharpies and she had a link to another blog called The Cornerstone Devotional For Teachers. This looks like a GREAT blog to follow to help us get through the tough times that comes with teaching. We all have them, don't we?
Does your school do a moment of silence each day? Our's is done after the pledge in the morning. Up until last year, my "moment of silence" was often filled with dealing with students who were walking into the classroom at the last minute. Last year, however, I changed my ways. I vowed to bow my head, close my eyes, and say a silent prayer each morning asking for the patience, strength, and compassion that I will need to get through the school day. I deal with the last minute walk in students afterwards. My students have now learned that during the moment of silence, I expect SILENCE (even from those last minute arrivals) and explain to them this is a time for them to reflect upon how they would like their day to go.I believe in the power of prayer and I believe THIS act alone has made my school days better. If you believe in the power of prayer, I encourage you to start your school day with a silent prayer as well. See how it goes....

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post... The Cornerstone is a terrific blog!

    I teach in a Christian school and we pray at various times throughout the day. A moment of silent prayer might do my class some good, too. :-)

    Http://read-write-sing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chrissy. Being in a public shool, I of course can not require students to have a silent prayer. But I am teaching them to respect the moment of silence by being silent (which we do as a whole school). I have explained to them that the moment of silence is a time for people to think about how they want their day to go, thye right choices the want to make in their day. If they choose to do this through prayer or not is up to them, but I think it is important that we all start our day with positive thoughts. Now, how many students actually think about much of anything during moment of silence? I don;t know. But I know that they respect it and I start my day off in prayer. There is something about that that makes my days seem a little less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a moment of silence every day too. I try to stop and take a moment to pray for my kids, my school, and yes, myself!

    Quench Your First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Happy Day! I just wanted to let you know that I have chosen you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Stop by my blog to check it out!

    Kim from :
    http://starbucksstandardssharpies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Giving Credit

"Teachers make great thieves"...ever heard that quote? It is a very true! Most of our great ideas are "stolen" from someone else. Not all ideas on this blog are mine. I try to give credit where credit is due. However, if you find that an idea should have been given credit but wasn't, please let me know.
Powered by Blogger.