Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sometimes the best lessons are the ones not in the plans!

 I want to share a spur of the moment math activity my class enjoyed on Friday. One of my students was surprised by her uncle who came to have lunch with her. He is a former University of Georgia basketball player who now plays professionally over seas. The kids were in awe of his height and were bombarding him with questions. So, I invited him back to our classroom to answer the questions and to help us with an on-the-spot math activity.  We measured, problem solved, and estimated.
sorry for the blurry picture, not sure what happened
First, we measured his height with yard sticks. We determined he was 6 feet 8 inches tall. Then, we measured his height using rulers. We discussed which would be the BEST tool for measuring something large, a ruler or yard stick and why. Then we estimated my height to be closer 5 feet (I'm 5'5) and estimated  his height to be close to 7 feet. Then we determined "about" how many more feet he is than I am.  The kids LOVED doing this and I think our basketball player did too. A special thank you to Steven Thomas.

2 comments:

  1. How cool!! Way to take advantage of a teachable moment. :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!
    Lori
    http://bee-the-change.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Giving Credit

"Teachers make great thieves"...ever heard that quote? It is a very true! Most of our great ideas are "stolen" from someone else. Not all ideas on this blog are mine. I try to give credit where credit is due. However, if you find that an idea should have been given credit but wasn't, please let me know.
Powered by Blogger.