Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering the Heroes and the day after in the classroom

We all know where we were on the horrific day now known simply as 9-11. I was teaching a classroom full of 2nd graders. I also clearly remember where I was on 9-12. I was back in the same classroom with the same children on "the day after". I distinctly remember the difference in the way the Pledge of Allegience sounded that day. There was something very different about the way the voices of the children sounded, the significance of the words, and the emotions behind it. Hearing 20 eight year olds say the Pledge on Sept. 12, 2011 was something that words really can not describe. And as we recited the pledge, I looked over at a parent volunteer and tears were streaming down her cheeks. Again, words can't describe the rawness of that moment.

Each year, I struggle with how to remember Sept. 11 in my classroom. Thank you so much to Erica Bohrer's Blog, I decided this year I would remember 9-11 by honoring the Heroes of Sept. 11. Erica has great printables for writing letters to firemen, police officers, and soldiers.



1 comment:

Giving Credit

"Teachers make great thieves"...ever heard that quote? It is a very true! Most of our great ideas are "stolen" from someone else. Not all ideas on this blog are mine. I try to give credit where credit is due. However, if you find that an idea should have been given credit but wasn't, please let me know.
Powered by Blogger.