Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Scared, excited, nervous: A mom's reaction to school

So tomorrow is the big day!! Little man starts school!!! Yes, I know it is only Pre K. However, our Pre K is located at our elementary school, so he is officially starting "Big School".  He is excited about it, but I can also tell he is having some anxiety as well. His behavior this week at home and day care have been less than we would typically expect. I have been tolerant of it though, because he is about to going through some big changes for a little boy. He's coping. I'm trying to cope too!!
Why me? Lots of reasons!! Seeing your child grow up is both exciting and sad. I am so proud of the kid he is becoming, but miss so much the baby that he was. Little man has been blessed to have been part of a wonderful daycare and he made terrific friends. It may be hard to believe, but these 5 year olds have strong friendships with one another. Many of them have been together almost every day since they were a year old. They have bonds!! Sadly, they are not all going to the same schools. And if they are, they are not in the same class. Of course, we can get together for play dates and such, but thinking about Little Man walking into his classroom tomorrow without the shining faces of his best little friends breaks my heart. On the other hand, I look so forward to watching new friendship flourish and grow!! I am excited to watch him develop, grow, and learn in the coming school years......I just hope they go by slower alot slower than the last 5 years!

5 comments:

  1. Awwww, I know the feeling. I went through this with my oldest a couple of years ago and my youngest is starting preschool next week. I hope he has a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to say they don't slow down. It's seems like yesterday my son was going to PreK-3 (he's now in 5th grade). I teach PreK so just remember, hold back the tears until you're out of sight. If you're o.k. he will be o.k. I hope he has a great first day!

    PrekMomDotCom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever heard of the book First Day Jitters? It's about a this exact topic...and at the end you find out that it's not a kid, it's the teacher who is scared, excited, and nervous!
    <a ref='alysiabattista.blogspot.com">Miss B, Busy Bee</a>

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a feeling you will have often, as time goes by - 1st day of middle school, 1st day of high school, 1st day they drive away in a car (terrifying), and then the dreaded, yet proud, leaving them at college. Enjoy your little one(s) and the journey. =)

    Beth
    http://inspiredwritingteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. This morning went great!! No tears from him or me!!! And I saw him in teh hall as I took my kids to PE. It is goinmg to be so nice seeing his face in the halls each day. It will brighten my days.

    ReplyDelete

Giving Credit

"Teachers make great thieves"...ever heard that quote? It is a very true! Most of our great ideas are "stolen" from someone else. Not all ideas on this blog are mine. I try to give credit where credit is due. However, if you find that an idea should have been given credit but wasn't, please let me know.
Powered by Blogger.