Wednesday, August 24, 2011

FREEBIE- tally marks, base ten blocks, and money= same concepts

We are finishing up our graphing unit and beginning to move into our place value and money unit. Money is ALWAYS so hard for second graders! But thanks to a math program our school used for the past three years, Everyday Math, I see the correlation between base ten blocks and counting money-----such a DUH! moment for me when I realized how hard I used to make money units when really it can be much more simple. My school is not using Everday Math this year because we are moving away from "programs" and toward standards based classrooms. Ironically, or not so ironically, the Georgia Frameworks (GA teachers know what I am talking about) also put money and place value in the same unit--teaching it together, the obvious way to do it, in my opinion. So---to help give my kids a visual of how money and base ten blocks correlate, and how tally marks and nickels correlate (used tally marks in out most recent graphing unit), I made these posters.  I'd love your feedback or other ideas to make counting money and counting back change a little easier.

5 comments:

  1. I love the math posters. Thank you so much for sharing! :o)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a Georgia teacher starting the place value next week, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these posters! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. I have a kiddo who struggles keeping these concepts straight so I always appreciate anything to help him (and me). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Giving Credit

"Teachers make great thieves"...ever heard that quote? It is a very true! Most of our great ideas are "stolen" from someone else. Not all ideas on this blog are mine. I try to give credit where credit is due. However, if you find that an idea should have been given credit but wasn't, please let me know.
Powered by Blogger.