Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Recycled Crayons--tips

So, I've seen the idea for recycled crayons (melted crayons) all over blog world recently. I decided to give it a try today with my 4 year old. We were successful and he thought it was really neat. However, I discovered a couple of things that would make it work better.
**SCIENCE LINK for teachers: this is a great way to demonstrate changes in matter**
Here are the instructions and the tips I have included:

1. Collect any broken crayons that you have laying around and not being used.
2. Peel paper off all crayons----TIP: this was harder than you may think. You may want to have some already peeled as a time saver.
3.Put broken crayons into silicone mold pan....TIP: fill the mold with several crayons. I put only 3 in and my crayons came out thin and fragile. If I filled more completely, I think I would have had thicker, stronger recycled crayons.

4. Heat the crayons in the oven at 275* for 10 minutes or until the crayons have turned to liquid. TIP: I would recommend placing the silicone pan on a metal baking sheet. When you remove from oven, the crayons will be hot liquid and a metal baking sheet will help keep the silicone pan sturdy as you move it.
5. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes or until liquid has hardened.
6. Pop the recycled crayons out of the mold and enjoy creating beautiful art work!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I've seen this done before, but never in the cute molds!!! So much fun! Could be cute to do at school when we discuss changes in matter...maybe using a small toaster oven??

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, the kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is even better than how I have done it before. Very smart!

    I used to melt them down, then put them all in an old crayon box and cut the shapes with an exacto knife. Very time-consuming.

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea. I always have a bin of "extra" crayons that the kids don't want when they get new ones. This would be a perfect way to recycle them (and possibly even give them as a little gift at some point). Thanks for sharing.

    sweettimein1stgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Giving Credit

"Teachers make great thieves"...ever heard that quote? It is a very true! Most of our great ideas are "stolen" from someone else. Not all ideas on this blog are mine. I try to give credit where credit is due. However, if you find that an idea should have been given credit but wasn't, please let me know.
Powered by Blogger.